Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Fascinations



FascinationI have alwaays had a fascination for fabrics and flowers, particularly fabrics with somestructure like velvets and satins and for roses. My sketchbook is filling up with drwings in crayon asnd paint and oil pstel of roses some baesed on photos from the garden 9of my friend Sallyl who kindly gaze me permission to use as a source. Many yeaars agoi I became enamoured of Irish Crochet lace and one of the motifs I make well is a rose. I'm working on doing a series of digital and fabric designs using roses and hopefully incorporating some crochet lace. I've been recently studying the techniques of various needle laces, psarticulxarly the Italian punto aria and other (my Italian is not much better than my AEnglish. Multi-technique fiber p8eces can carry a strong message, I think, even a subtle one. I am more fond of the subtle message than I am of the sledgehammer approaach. In the meantime, I'm using a sketchbook along a specific theme, something I've never done before. My health is worsening and I wonder if suddenly I realize that I need to start finishing works aw I dicovered to my chagrin that I dod not have a true "body of work," just a bunch of UFOs. Os ther ultimate finished oject more important than the process9or is the process the most importantg/ I've lways thought the latter, but now I'm beginning to think that they're both important, though I can't honestly say why at this point. here are two samples of crayon on ctton with a metallic over wash.

1 Comments:

Blogger His Office, My Studio said...

With your health worsening any work you are doing is a blessing. I am so enjoying what you are posting. I find inspiration from you and your projects.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Surface Design
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
Powered by RingSurf