Thursday, March 02, 2006

Kundera

The book that has had the most profound effect on me is THE UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING by Kundera. It is a small book, but the narrative is compelling. To be honest, its one of those booka I don't completely understand on the intellectual level but emoti9nally it strikes home. Being a residegt of the US, I would be dishoenst to say that I have been engaged by the zeitgeist that seized the writer of this book. We US citizens have been so sheltered and so dishonest as to our engagement with the pressing philosophiccsal issues of the day. But that is our karma and time will teach us otherwise. I remember the utter shock on the utter shock displayed on the face of a friend, who loved European Phiosohpy, as she called it, when Sartre renounced Existtennstialism for Marxism I don't think she's ever recovered. I hhink I shall have to read this book again.

Arashi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Surface Design
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
Powered by RingSurf